Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wet Weather

Went across to Funabashi yesterday for the first time in a long while - not that I had anything running, of course (one friend said they were happy to pick up a second place - I said I'd be happy to have something that wasn't crippled), but at least it got me out of the house for a bit and I managed to see a few folks that I wanted to have a word with; more than anything, it gave my Mum, who's visiting, an evening out.

As the time difference caught up during my sleep, Sayesse came a handy third - we were a bit worried about the soft ground, and indeed it slowed his pace just enough to lose by a length. But he needed the run, and ideal conditions are hard to find in the UK at the moment, as the rain has been heavy for a while now. Later in the day, Lillyput - the only weak link in our English campaign - ran her heart out, and it's a shame she couldn't be rewarded with anything better than last having seen how hard she ran. Unlike some of the recent Japanese races, the effort was clearly visible - she can go back to the stables with her head held high after a performance like that, and you can be sure she'll be out again in the next week or so (maybe Monday) rather than having to wait months for a shot at revenge.

Lots more English racing to come over the next few days, and, for a change, something is happening in Japan, too. Another Door runs at Monbetsu on Thursday, but I'm not expecting much to be honest - another heavily overpriced nag that has failed to live up to expectations if the first run is anything to go by, and injuries are around the corner if the pattern I've seen far, far too often kicks in. Whatever, I shall be watching the race with interest, that's for sure, as it will have to improve an awful lot just to finish in the top three! Phosphorus is out on Friday, too, although I'm disillusioned with this one as well - the spirit that made him a winner has gone completely since his operations and NF excursion. For that reason, even though I love the trainer to bits, I'll be staying at home to watch his race.

No comments:

Post a Comment