Thursday, February 13, 2014

Bugatti

That may seem like a strange title, so I'd better explain. When I was five or six, I had made my mind up that I wanted a horse - not just any old horse, but a fiery Thoroughbred, and it's colouring would be a very dark bay, as in a coat with a hint of rich brown within the close to black hue. As the years passed, the image never faded or changed - I knew exactly what I wanted. In time, the love of vintage cars gave me a name for this horse - I would call the beast 'Bugatti', as both had an exceptional purity of line, and a level of power and speed that put them above their rivals, both equine and automotive. Phosphorus is the image of my dream horse from 40 years ago...

So how did the beauty do today? Well, after a bad start, very well, making up ground nicely (which isn't easy to do in a 1200m sprint), and coming home in a gallant third. This was only his second race, but he looked the part today, despite the track conditions suiting lighter horses, a distance that doesn't really suit his brawny build (no mile options available at this stage), and a lack of training over the last few days due to the heavy snow we've had in Chiba. A win would have been nice (he was favourite at one point in the betting), but, all told, I'm very pleased with what I saw today. With a great team behind him, this horse has a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment