Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Latest

Mistoffelees has been retired. I can't say as I'm surprised, or even all that disappointed, although I feel sorry for Saito-san. For all my criticism of JRA trainers, Makoto Saito is actually someone I like - he has a face in a faceless, closed society, and having met the guy recently, my good impression of him that I'd established earlier was confirmed in full. Sincerely, I wish him all the best.

While Glint Moment has finally made it to Ritto TC (is it worth it?), Belle Plage, Dinner Bell, Harmony Fair and Miracle Rouge have been shipped off for R&R, which probably means the end of their careers, given the timing. Meanwhile, Single Cask runs at Niigata on the 24th, with Harada-san at the controls for the 1200m 5R on dirt. As it happens, Dinner Bell was booked for a 1200m turf race there on the same day, but couldn't get a berth in the gate. Having made all the effort to get a horse trained and ready, this is the end result of having too few JRA races on the calendar, and it's happened way too often in my experience. The system is pathetic! It reality, DB's practice times were awful anyway, so another retirement would suit me just fine.

Tenshinramman will hopefully run at Tokyo-Fuchu on the 31st May, competing in the Hiyama Tokubetsu Race over a mile on turf, while Irish Harp is being lined up to challenge the Hokkaido races. At least some thought is being put into this horse's entries. And finally, moving away from Carrot Club and onto Sunday TC nags, Divine Daughter is booked for the 1300m dirt race at Tokyo-Fuchu on the 1st June. Blinkers are being tried this time, and Teruo Eda is listed as the jockey.

PS. One of the horses Saito-san trains has just won the Japanese Oaks! I'm really pleased for him...

No comments:

Post a Comment