Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Lucky Girl?

Courtesy Zimbio.com
Well, for all my complaints about JRA trainers, I take my hat off to Naosuke Sugai (pictured). With Irish Harp, he has given me and her fellow owners a real value-for-money package. He has thought of numerous different ways of making her shine, and had no less than ten attempts at getting her to win - remarkable when one thinks the average Carrot Club horse runs three or four times if you're lucky (regardless of potential), and then gets retired, more often than not because of glaring failings in the system and failings in those being paid to look after our interests rather than any major problem with the horse itself. Mr Sugai, you've earned yourself a fan in an era where I'd have thought it impossible for me to warm to anything to do with JRA. To feel the same disappointment as we did after the last race is admirable, as most of the trainers don't give a toss as long as the gravy train keeps moving. To even think of giving Irish Harp chance number 11 has frankly left me in shock. I'm so glad to see that pride and honour still have a place in a part of the industry where only money seems to count, and club people are simply used as shunned pawns to keep funds in motion. Sir, you have my utmost respect, and I wish you luck whatever happens in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment