Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reviewing Options

Ironic that having ditched all my Japanese horses, within two days, I had the commemorative card for Trovao's Derby win and Lotus Blossom's victory photo arrive through the post. But I feel a lot better to be out of it, to be honest. At the end of the day, I may as well make a clean break and lose some money now, as lose the same or more through a drip feed.

Anyway, I was thinking about what to do next, and came up with a few options. Czech racing holds appeal, as there's lots of races and few runners, although sticking with tried and trusted countries like Australia and Ireland probably makes more sense - the language barrier doesn't have to be crossed either. There were thoughts of Singapore, but the folks I had in mind failed to respond to my last mail (earlier ones were answered, it should be said), and my theory is a lack of communication before they have your money doesn't bode well for the future. Kochi? Well, that's still in the back of my mind, but I'm not going to do anything on that front just yet. Some research maybe, but nothing more until the bitter taste left in my mouth from the Japanese club scene has disappeared.

PS. It looks like I was right pulling out when I did, for the unnecessary stress the runners from the last few days would have been the final nail in the coffin. Although Phosphorus won (frankly unbelievable given the time he was away from the track), Another Door started second favourite and came last, Pop Label started favourite in a race it should have won with ease and came seventh, and today Million Ways came last, over ten seconds adrift of the winner. Another Door and Pop Label have been shipped off to Northern Farm, of course, while what happens to Million Ways after such a disaster is anyone's guess! Glad to be out of it... 

PPS. Just heard that Million Ways has been retired - a decision that has come far too late. Had they retired it when Kawashima Jr turned his back on it (as good a sign as any that it was going nowhere), I'd have probably still been a Carrot Club member - the silly bills Midway Farm were dishing out on that horse (and Trovao to be fair, albeit to a lesser extent) was one of the key factors in my decision to throw in the towel. To keep paying for something that was so far off the pace since March last year was a crazy idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment