Sunday, February 23, 2014

Not Funny

I'm sure there are quite a few people who've been waiting to read this in view of what happened at Tokyo-Fuchu today. I've deliberately held back my comments until my blood has stopped boiling, and I will leave you to imagine what I would have written a few hours earlier. It wouldn't have been pretty! These words are straight, but filled with a greater level of disappointment and a lot less anger...

First of all, we have Sophisticate - a horse that came a promising fourth in his first outing, and then for some reason fell to pieces. Today, there was some trouble in the gate, but that doesn't explain the poor performance after that. A gap appeared, it didn't respond. A disgusting 14th place to show for my support and investment, which is the horse's worst result so far, and its worst losing margin. I didn't think it could get any worse than the times logged in December - obviously I was wrong.

For those of you thinking I'm pissed off because the horse didn't win, I will point out the fact that Miracle Rouge didn't win last week, but I was still pleased. Why? Because there was some effort shown by both horse and jockey. That's all I ask for, and I don't honestly think that's asking for too much. All too often, the Carrot Club horses just turn up, fill the gate, and crawl around at training pace, taking in views of the nature on the way round, while the real racehorses are off in the distance - they don't even seem to try!

Anyone still left wondering why I'm sick to death of Carrot Club only needs to look at the seventh race. Yes, Tenshinramman, the horse that had pages written about her in the newspapers and glowing reports in JRA race previews is now relegated to the dregs of 4YO racing. Even outside the main event, she could still only muster fifth favourite status, and although it wasn't quite her worst ever performance, it was bloody close. Tanaka, blaming the horse, is saying she was too nervous today, but a good jockey can calm a horse down - it's called horsemanship. Even the final run-in time was off the pace, with her 34.2 for the last three furlongs (downhill) being 11th best - a full second adrift of the winner. The very best 3F time posted in the race was 0.1 seconds off that 'Tenny' put up in her first race as a two-year old. On paper, the winner shouldn't have even got close to her, yet somehow finished the best part of seven lengths ahead of her.

The trainer may feel obliged to Tanaka for giving him his first Grade race win (of only two to date), and Tanaka was all over the horse when it was doing well. However, it was his fault it didn't qualify for The Oaks, and today's report as good as reads "not my problem, mate." They are not the words of someone apparently losing sleep worrying about how to make this horse win, and as he obviously can't handle 'Tenny', I would give the ride to someone like Tosaki-san who can read a horse's temperament. The problem is, of course, now that she's had a good record totally ruined, who is going to want to ride her? You may as well retire her now while there are still a few of us that can remember what her raw talent made her capable of - before her so-called 'training' programme made her a nervous wreck that has forgotten how to run fast just for the thrill of it. I tell you one thing for sure - give me 'Tenny', and I guarantee I'd have her winning again by the time summer came around.

No comments:

Post a Comment