Friday, March 28, 2014

Horseman's Treasures

I've surrounded myself with all manner of horseman's treasures over the years. Very few of them are expensive, but they are treasures to me nonetheless - things that have a special significance, either because of who won it, who signed it, who made it, who it represents... The list goes on. Today's treasure sort of fits into two of those categories, but deserves its own, with the significance placed on who it's about. It's no secret that I have a deep admiration for Masayuki Kawashima - a little man who for me walks as tall as they come. A living legend, no less. Well, today, a book charting his rise from jockey to top trainer has found its way into my collection, and even though I can't read the words (Louis will sum things up for me later), I'm already getting a great deal of enjoyment from the photos, seeing folks I know now in their younger days. There's even a small link with England, with a picture of MK with Steve Cauthen - the American jockey who made a name for himself racing in Britain after winning the US Triple Crown. Another treasure...

PS. Louis and the missus have been reading through this, relaying stories here and there, and my respect just grows and grows. The helping hand given by Saburo Kitajima is heartwarming, too. Inspiring stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment