Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This first post is simply to establish what I'd like to do with this blog - if you like what you see, please stay tuned, even though it may take some time to get everything up and rolling...

Although I'm now based in Japan, my Great-Grandfather had stables back in England, and while they were destroyed during WWII, I guess that's where the love of horses stems from, as all the generations before me spent many happy hours there, and the stories were duly passed down.

First and foremost, I'm into Thoroughbreds - the majestic shape, temperament and history of these animals appeals to me, and I find bloodlines fascinating. Naturally, as someone that has followed car racing and rallying most of my life, the racing side is a hugely important angle, and the noise, colour and excitement generated at a big race is a wonderful experience. The racing world is full of equine heros and heroines, while the characters that ride, train and own them are a captivating bunch.

In the pages to come, I'd like to talk about the horses in my life - retired racehorses, present racehorses, and the yearlings that will be racehorses soon. The retired racers are now being used in Dressage competitions, bringing another avenue of entertainment for the family, while I'd like to record a few results on the current crop, highlighting some of their ancestors along the way. Of course, various people from within the horse world will be covered occasionally, too, in order to add a little spice.

I'm also very keen on equine art, and would like to show off some of the work created by the likes of Jacqueline Stanhope, David Geenty and Lisa Miller. It is my hope that these pages will bring a wider appreciation of their work, which you can inspect personally at the Funabashi Keiba track in Chiba.

No comments:

Post a Comment