Friday, September 21, 2012

UPS & DOWNS
I went across to Tokoro this morning to see Jaguar as he set off for a ride in a truck, only to find I'd missed him being loaded by a few minutes. Still, by all accounts, like a true Keiba trooper, he perked up the minute he saw the box wagon with the loading ramp in position, and duly arrived safely in Narita ready for a weekend of Dressage competition with Louis. In reality, using Thoroughbreds for these kind of events is a bit like using an F1 car to go shopping, so you can't expect too much. But as long as horse and rider put on a good show and get enjoyment from the day, I guess that's the main thing...

As well as the Dressage on Saturday and Sunday, which will doubtless be very interesting, seeing as this is Jaguar's debut at the higher levels (Louis used Tenn-chan in the last competition), on Monday, Carrot Club releases the details of which members managed to secure which horses from the latest catalogue. With early indications pointing towards one on my wish list being heavily oversubscribed, I'm hoping to get four of the five yearlings I wanted, respectively fathered by King Kamehameha, Neo Universe, Special Week, and King Halo. To be honest, my hankering over the latter is more to do with owning a tiny bit of Sir Ivor blood more than anything else - Sir Ivor being Lester Piggott's choice as the greatest of all his Epsom Derby winners.

Another thing I have to look forward to is the eighth race at Funabashi on Tuesday. My father died in July, and this race - the 'B.C. Whittle Memorial Race' - is my way of saying goodbye to him. Don't ask about the different names, it's a long story (no pun intended) and not really that important in the overall scheme of things. What is important is that he's fittingly remembered by a son who can write with ease and passion about historical matters, but doesn't always express himself so well when it comes to things on a personal level! Not sure who's running as yet, but Funabashi always provides racing of the highest calibre. I hope the race will provide a good spectacle for all, especially those making their first appearance at a Keiba track.

No comments:

Post a Comment