Friday, February 7, 2014

Dictionary

Snow stopped play today, not only at our stables but at Tokyo-Fuchu as well. Not much fun, except for Sophie who is currently outside making a snowman! Me, well I'm cracking on with some work while the opportunity presents itself, which means taking the odd look at a dictionary and thesaurus every now and again.

Thinking about it, if I was creating my own dictionary, I would use the word 'Mephisto' to describe a slow moving object, as the image of Mephisto Waltz fits perfectly. The poor jockey has no need to apologize - he did his best this afternoon, following instructions to make the pace, but the beast ran out of breath on the fourth corner and finally came home a lowly 14th, 1.7 seconds down on the winner. I can't say I'm surprised, because I'm not. For ages, the trainer has been saying the horse's breathing is not brilliant, so I questioned the wisdom of running at a longer distance in the first place. All told, a magnificent Carrot Club failure - yet again!

As for thoughts on the next race, personally I wouldn't bother wasting the entry money, or the diesel getting the horse to the track. The sad thing is this is simply not a racehorse - it doesn't seem to have inherited one ounce of DNA from its famous predecessors, and is too slow to even make a decent dressage competitor. I suppose using it to walk kids up and down the beach is always an option...

No comments:

Post a Comment