Saturday, February 1, 2014

Bad Joke

The bad joke that lingers on the Carrot Club horses like a foul smell continues to stink the house out. In reality, I don't know what the trainer was thinking of fielding a horse that had ballooned by 26kg since its last race, when the average was minus 3kg over the other 15 nags. Add in race rust (a typical excuse that's easy to avoid if the damn things actually run once in a while) plus the extra half a jockey in weight to lug around, and to be honest, Cristian hadn't got a chance. He's blaming heavy ground, but they all had to contend with the same turf. I blame bad preparation. Another wasted entry to add to the catalogue of disasters...

PS. No direct trainer's report, as he's probably too embarrassed, but decisions will be made after the post-race inspection. I guess it will be another lengthy R&R session, which won't help the horse's chances one bit, as the clock is running, and time is against the beast because of the way the club works. At least it was acknowledged there was a weight issue, and ideas will have to be put forward to address it. Well, here's an idea - train the bloody horse properly! You do not send a horse away on holiday for months, then stick it in the first slot that's available when it's obviously nowhere near race ready. Believe me, if I could sell my shares in every single Carrot Club horse I have, I'd do it in an instant. I'm assuming I can't because the club still haven't responded to my letter saying I wanted to - it took a concerned member to tell me. Is there any other organization on Earth that can legally sell you something, tie-up your finances for an indefinite period, and then never respond to your correspondence? Bad show all round - both on the track, and in terms of customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment